As part of The State Museum and Archives’ 50th anniversary commemoration, the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission (PHMC) is hosting a juried photo exhibit at The State Museum focusing on Pennsylvania’s wide variety of modern architecture. Featured will be submissions of photographs that display examples of mid-20th century architecture constructed in Pennsylvania between 1930 and 1980. Entries may depict exteriors, interiors, and/or details of roadside architecture, schools, religious buildings, homes, commercial structures, recreational sites and other modern buildings. Entries will be received online through June 30, 2015. The exhibit will open to the public on Sunday, October 25, 2015, and close February 28, 2016.
We know you have questions. This FAQ should go along way in helping you photograph and submit your best work. Recently, Beth Hager of PHMC sat down for an interview with WITF’s Smart Talk and offered her insights on Modernist architecture. Here’s what she had to say about the upcoming exhibit.
Still not sure what we mean by Midcentury Modern? This list of buildings from across the commonwealth offers up good examples from the era. Also, native Philadelphian and photographer Betsy Manning recently offered her insights on Midcentury Modern architecture via a Facebook Q&A.
We are seeking submissions via Call for Entry, a professional art entry website. Entries will be accepted through June 30, 2015.
- Open to legal residents of Pennsylvania 18 years of age and older. All levels of skill are welcome, from photo enthusiast to professional. Employees (and their immediate family members) or board members of the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, the Pennsylvania Heritage Foundation, and PHMC Associate Group employees and board members are not eligible to submit.
- Up to three images taken since January 1, 2012. Only digital submissions will be eligible.
- Entries will be judged by a panel of experts. The criteria will include relevance to the Pennsylvania modern architecture theme, composition, technique, and originality.
- Purchase Awards will be offered: Best Photograph of Show $1,000 & Best Photograph of The State Museum and Archives Complex, Harrisburg $500
- All photographers whose works are accepted into the show will be required to deliver or ship them to The State Museum at their own expense (roundtrip) and frame at their own expense. Works will be recieved at The State Museum September 18 through September 20, 2015.
- If your photo is accepted, you may be asked to provide a documentary reference photo of the façade of the building depicted for reference, historic preservation, and educational purposes.
Update: The deadline to enter this exhibit is fast approaching!